Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu / Body
Name: Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu / Body
- Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu / Body mg
- Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu / Body side effects
- Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu / Body drug
- Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu / Body tablet
- Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu / Body missed dose
- Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu / Body uses
- Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu / Body adverse effects
- Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu / Body effects of
- Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu / Body 60 mg
- Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu / Body side effects of alka-seltzer plus flu / body
- Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu / Body dosage
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu/Body?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- Do not take Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu/Body for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Avoid other sources of acetaminophen. Check labels closely. Too much acetaminophen may cause problems.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly liver problems have happened with the use of acetaminophen. Some people needed a liver transplant. Liver problems happened most often in people taking more than 4,000 mg (milligrams) in a day. People were often taking more than one drug with acetaminophen in it. Talk with your doctor.
- Call your doctor right away if you take more than 4,000 mg (milligrams) of acetaminophen in a day, even if you feel well.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take this medicine.
- Different brands of Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu/Body may be for use in different ages of children. Talk with the doctor before giving this medicine to a child.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu/Body while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu/Body) best taken?
Use this medicine as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take tablet with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu/Body on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times this medicine is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu/Body (acetaminophen/dextromethorphan/pseudoephedrine capsules and tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu/Body. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu/Body.
Review Date: October 4, 2017
For the Consumer
Applies to acetaminophen / dextromethorphan / pseudoephedrine: oral capsule, oral liquid, oral tablet
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Not able to sleep.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to acetaminophen / dextromethorphan / pseudoephedrine: oral capsule, oral liquid, oral powder for reconstitution, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable
Cardiovascular side effects of pseudoephedrine have included tachycardia. Some patients have developed hypertension and/or arrhythmias.[Ref]
Pseudoephedrine causes vasoconstriction which generally does not produce hypertension, but may be problematic for patients with preexisting hypertension. Arrhythmias may be produced in predisposed patients. Rarely, pseudoephedrine has been reported to cause coronary artery spasm and chest pain.
One report evaluated the effect with 60 mg of pseudoephedrine on individuals in a hyperbaric chamber at 1 atmosphere (simulated scuba dive to 66 feet of sea water). Pseudoephedrine and depth (simulated) were found to have significant but opposite effects on heart rate, although these effects were unlikely to be clinically significant during diving.[Ref]
Nervous system side effects of dextromethorphan have included drowsiness and dizziness. Other side effects such as excitation, mental confusion, and opioid like respiratory depression have been rare and occurred at higher dosages. In some cases of abuse, patients experienced euphoria, hyperactivity, mania, and auditory and visual hallucinations.
Nervous system side effects of pseudoephedrine have included insomnia in up to 30% of patients. Tremor, anxiety, nervousness, and headache have also been reported.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects of dextromethorphan have included upset stomach.
Gastrointestinal side effects of pseudoephedrine have included anorexia and gastric irritation in approximately 5% of patients. Dry mouth, nose, or throat have occurred in up to 15% of patients.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity side effects of dextromethorphan have included rare reports of fixed-drug eruptions.
Hypersensitivity side effects of pseudoephedrine have included fixed drug eruptions.[Ref]
Hepatic side effects of acetaminophen have included severe and sometimes fatal dose dependent hepatitis in alcoholic patients. Hepatotoxicity has been increased during fasting.[Ref]
Dermatologic side effects associated with acetaminophen includes the risk of rare but potentially fatal serious skin reactions known as Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS), toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN), and acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis (AGEP).
Some side effects of Alka-Seltzer Plus Flu / Body may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.