How is this medicine (Aquoral) best taken?
Use Aquoral (saliva substitute solution) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Different brands or forms of Aquoral (saliva substitute solution) may need to be used in different ways. Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- You may need to avoid eating or drinking for some time after using Aquoral (saliva substitute solution). Follow what your doctor has told you or read the package insert.
- Most products must not be swallowed. For some products, it does not matter. Be sure you know if your product can be swallowed. If you are not sure, check with the pharmacist.
- Some of these drugs need to be shaken before use. Be sure you know if this product needs to be shaken before using it.
- Some products come as a spray with pumps that may need to be primed before use. Some pumps may also need to be primed if not used for different periods of time. If your product is a spray with a pump that needs to be primed, follow how and when to prime as you have been told.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Many times Aquoral (saliva substitute solution) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Mouth irritation.
- Change in speech.
- Change in taste.
If OVERDOSE is suspected
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Usual Adult Dose for Xerostomia
Aquoral: Use 2 sprays 3 to 4 times per day or as directed.
Caphosol, Neutrasal: Use 2 to 10 times per day or as instructed by physician.
Directions for use:
(1) Mix as directed.
(2) Swish the mouth thoroughly for 1 min with 1/2 of the solution and spit out.
(3) Repeat with the remaining 1/2 of the solution and spit out. Use immediately after mixing the solution.
Numoisyn Lozenge: Let one Numoisyn Lozenge dissolve slowly in the mouth when needed. To obtain optimal effect, move the lozenge around in the mouth. Repeat as necessary. Do not exceed 16 lozenges in 24 hours.
Numoisyn Liquid: Shake bottle well. Take 2 ml (or about 1/2 teaspoon) of Numoisyn Liquid and rinse around in the mouth before swallowing. Use as needed.
Oasis Moisturizing Mouthwash: Rinse for 30 seconds with one ounce of mouthwash first thing in the morning and before going to bed or as needed. Do not swallow.
Oasis Moisturizing Mouth Spray: Spray 1 to 2 times into the affected areas of mouth. Use as required up to a maximum of 30 times or 60 sprays a day.
Orajel Dry Mouth Moisturizing Gel: Apply a one inch strip of product directly to tongue and around the inside and outside of the tooth and gum surface. Do not rinse out. Use as needed or as directed by a dentist or doctor.
Liver Dose Adjustments
Data not available
Data not available