Take this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully.
The dose your doctor recommends may be based on the following:
- the condition being treated
- other medical conditions you have
- other medications you are taking
- how you respond to this medication
- your weight
- your height
- your age
- your gender
- Take doxycycline exactly as prescribed. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully.
- Your doctor will determine the appropriate dosage and schedule of doxycycline depending on the type and severity of your infection, as well as your age.
- The range of doses for all forms of doxycycline is 100 to 200 mg a day, with a maximum daily dose of 600 mg.
- When taking doxycycline for the prevention of malaria, you should start taking the drug 1 to 2 days before traveling to an area with malaria. Continue taking doxycycline for 4 weeks after leaving the area with malaria, but not for longer than 4 months total.
- When being used in a dental setting for the treatment of periodontitis, the amount of doxycycline that is applied per administration is 50 mg.
- The recommended dosing range for doxycycline injectable in adults is 100 to 300 mg per day.
How should I take Avidoxy (doxycycline)?
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Take doxycycline with a full glass of water. Drink plenty of liquids while you are taking doxycycline.
Most brands of doxycyline may be taken with food or milk if the medicine upsets your stomach. Different brands of doxycycline may have different instructions about taking them with or without food.
Take Oracea on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal.
You may open a Doryx capsule or break up a Doryx tablet and sprinkle the medicine into a spoonful of applesauce to make swallowing easier. Swallow right away without chewing. Do not save the mixture for later use. Drink a full glass (8 ounces) of cool water right away.
Do not crush, break, or open a delayed-release capsule or tablet. Swallow the pill whole.
You may need to split the Acticlate tablet to get the correct dose. The tablet is scored so you can break it apart easily.
Measure liquid medicine with the dosing syringe provided, or with a special dose-measuring spoon or medicine cup. If you do not have a dose-measuring device, ask your pharmacist for one.
If you take doxycycline to prevent malaria: Start taking the medicine 1 or 2 days before entering an area where malaria is common. Continue taking the medicine every day during your stay and for at least 4 weeks after you leave the area. Use protective clothing, insect repellents, and mosquito netting around your bed to further prevent mosquito bites that could cause malaria.
Use this medicine for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared. Skipping doses may also increase your risk of further infection that is resistant to antibiotics. Doxycycline will not treat a viral infection such as the flu or a common cold.
If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are using doxycycline.
Store at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light.
Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date on the label has passed. Using expired doxycycline can cause damage to your kidneys.